Gold American Eagle 1oz BU (Random Year)
- Gold Content – 1 oz. (31.1035 g)
- Gross Weight – 1.0909 oz. (33.930 g)
- Composition – 91.67% gold, 3% silver, 5.33% copper
- Coin Diameter – 1.287 in. (32.70 mm)
- Thickness – 0.113 in. (2.87 mm)
- Mint Dates – 1986 to present
The United States Mint copied the much-loved $20 Saint-Gaudens gold coin design for the obverse (front) of its new American Eagle. Right of Lady Liberty, the date was in Roman numerals from 1986-91, and in Arabic numerals since. Miley Busiek’s design on the reverse shows a bald eagle landing in its family nest.
American Eagle gold coins are minted only from gold mined in the United States. The gold is 22 karat (a small amount of other metal is added for durability), but each 1 oz. American Eagle contains one full ounce of pure gold.
The United States guarantees American Eagles’ gold content, weight and purity. For this reason, American Eagle gold coins can easily be bought and sold almost anywhere in the world, making these coins among the most commonly traded gold bullion coins in the world.